I would suggest that the complete mail functionality of the Notes-client would be separated into a Notes-Mail-Client only. All other parts would remain as a separare "Notes-Application-Client".
The advantages would be:
- the mail client UI could be done much simpler as it would get rid of so many menu items, settings
- the naming of items could be done specific for a mail-client so that users could use it without any training
- the mail client would be more light-weigth as it would no need to load many functions
- it would run in a separate thread and not block the application client
- optionally it could be that both clients could be docked/merged like in the current client for users who want it that way
- the mail-client (as an POP/IMAP client)could be released for free for private use (as IBM does not have any private users as customers
- it might make Notes easier to sell to customers who have Exchange, because you could tell them to use the "Notes-Application-Client" only.
PS: I know that this would be a radical redesign of the UI and it is unlikely to happen soon (if ever)